Atos VR - bringing the wingtips further inboard

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

Atos VR - bringing the wingtips further inboard

Postby nev » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:43 pm

Like many, I've had to take several slices off the tip extensions (at the inboard end) following sail shrinkage.......possibly amount to several inches!

But, there is another aspect that needs to be 'cleaned', and that's the gap between the end of the sail and the plug-in carbon fibre wingtip.
Whilst there is less shrinkage, there is less movement (I'm assuming the problem manifest from the amount of shrinking between end-of-sail and where the tip rod meets the tip extension, i.e. the last 4-ish feet).

Has anyone had to correct this? I'm thinking it just needs 2 new holes in each tip extension, to bring the tips further inboard. Of course, the end of the tip tube may need trimming to as the wingtip will slide further down the tip tube.

Is it that simple? Thanks in advance.........
Nev
nev

Re: Atos VR - bringing the wingtips further inboard

Postby Johnnybravo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Nev, YES, I have done this . No problem at all. Just be very accurate with the hole position and size. I slightly undersized the drill bit and then 'reamed'/filed the hole to perfect size and location with a round file. I think there was a slight clash with the piled up heap of Velcro that the 'C' section sits on, but you just cut that to fit. I did this early on before shortening the tubes, but since I have now shortened the tubes, I have moved the winglets back to the original holes. You just reposition the spring buttons again-no problem.
Regards,
John.
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby nev » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Great, many thanks John.

Always makes sense to "sense check" such ideas before drilling/cutting - it may save an unwanted trip to Germany! :)
Nev
nev

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:59 pm

How much gap have you got going? Since your going to be mucking with the Velcro, why not look at adding a section to the tip to fill the gap? You will need a section of the special "Zupper Zitck Velrco" (for the sail side) but might be able to reverse the tip hem, and re finish with an insert of mylar and dacron. I'm amazed that the tip has shrunk that much... even more amazed you get enough sun in the UK to make it happen ;-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin

Postby nev » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:30 am

Haha, when the sun does arrive here in the UK, I do try to be out, so it does get a beasting from UK UV, even though its only 1/2 strength :)

Hmm, extending the tip rather bringing the tips in? I'll need to take a look and see if feasible, but given my engineering skills are better than sewing skills, the "new holes in the tip tube" approach may preside
Nev
nev

Return to Rigid Wings