Atos VR Flap settings

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

Atos VR Flap settings

Postby WAYNE BEVAN » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:30 am

hope you all had a good festive season & that you have enjoyed some flying! I haven't flown since August!
Flap settings:- I have flown the Atos with a rough guess as to what the flap settings are, which may have contributed to some of the issues I've had in the past. The cord is not even marked!
However its a New Year & I intend to mark the cord with 3 settings, [ take-off, cruise & landing- full speed can take care of itself!] What do I need to 'accurately set the flaps' & where do I get the item from & how do I use it??
I am aware that the 'settings' will be a guide depending on conditions-its fun parked into wind at 500ft agl with full flap for landing only to go backwards!
This year may be a 'crossroads' for flying the Atos as examination of the log books suggest I haven't got out much in the past 5yrs!
Still 'onwards & upwards' yesterday is gone, tomorrow will take care of itself, lets ENJOY TODAY!

wishing you all an epic season & hope to see you all at cloud base.

wayne
safe flying
wayne
WAYNE BEVAN

Re: Atos VR Flap settings

Postby Johnnybravo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Wayne,
I think this is near enough for your 'big flap' VR :-
From A-I-R USA website under 'resources'
http://media.wix.com/ugd/1f3fcf_64b6452 ... 319434.pdf
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby Martin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:38 am

I use one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge ... 34214.html

Also, the new digital ones are getting pretty cheap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-an ... 95998.html

Set the glider up, level the keel and calculate the angle based on fully up, against the keel as being negative 5.

Cheers....

Martin
Martin

Postby WAYNE BEVAN » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:08 am

Thank you. Hope for some decent weather to set up atos properly!
safe flying
wayne
WAYNE BEVAN

Postby Johnnybravo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:54 am

Had not looked a the tail slider mech since I fitted that special Vince Endter aluminium pulley in place of the A-I-R fibre one, in the my VR early days.
Thought I would renew the tailplane operating cords and elastic and clean it all up.
Found everthing to be in reasonably good condition. The cord where the keel tube splits was obviously worn, but everywhere else seemed OK. The 6mm diameter bungee return rubber was a bit messy at the very rear of the keel tube but again not too bad. The mechanism all needed cleaning but that was easy to do once you get it all out. The four rolling bearings that it moves on were fine and the very small roller tubes in the 'operating slot' were good as well.
So basically just renewed the 6mm bungee and the long operating cord inside the keel tube, and a clean up. Have ordered some new white control cord for the flap cord in the control frame, as well.
Thought you guys would like to know that the old stuff was in reasonable condition ( on my VR anyway (9 years old!!), so probably OK on yours :-)).
JohnB

Johnnybravo

Postby nev » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:51 pm

re: flap angle .......I've seen so many 'wavy' flaps on some gliders that I reckon all you do is give an aggregated 'best guess'.

Somewhere around 20 degrees does the job (I've never been pedantic - just dialled in /marked the cord on the 5 gliders I've done reasonable hours on, and it always seems OK).

Out of curiosity, next time out (especially in light wind) I might do a few test runs in the flat top landing area at Westbury to see if I can detect much difference between, say, 15, 20 and 25 degrees. For sure, it you try to move forward with 60 degrees it is like having a brake on, and no doubt contributing to the occasional take off problems that a guy on the Yahoo/RW mailing list was describing. Interesting the problems were only 'occasional' - it shows just how versatile our wings are. Conversely, I've seen a few takeoff runs with zero flap - not too bad when there is some wind (but the neutral 'pitch hunting' I find a bit disconcerting), but with close to zero wind I doubt if we'd even get off the ground.
Nev
nev

Postby WAYNE BEVAN » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:40 am

thank you Nev for the input.
I haven't had any issues on take-off as I probably have around 20% flap & always get away cleanly & quickly. In a breeze I take-off using the flap setting which allows me to walk to take-off whilst retaining control & without "ballooning up into the air" which is very scary! [got the T shirt].
I believe my trim speed is too slow being around 25mph as I tend to waft around the sky. I will set the glider up for best glide @ 5% flap @ 30-35mph, hopefully this will give me the correct speed for all other flap settings!
As for the issues I've had on landing,[light winds] again I tend to 'waft in' with shallow approach which results in a stall.
Hopefully the weather will improve in the spring & this year will be very good & enjoyable.
all the best
safe flying
wayne
WAYNE BEVAN

Postby Johnnybravo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Tailplane and Flap set up with new cords. See Pic
Used Marlow Excel Racing 3mm diameter Dingy Control cord because it made for 'grip' in the cleat and for coping with pulleys and bends. White for the Flap and Red for the Tailplane.
My original set up for the past 9 years was 5 degrees out. :-)
IMG_9110-001.JPG
IMG_9110-001.JPG (181.09 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
JohnB

Johnnybravo

Return to Rigid Wings