Stashing your glider bags

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

Stashing your glider bags

Postby Jase » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:39 am

I've always stashed my glider bags in the D tubes when I'm flying, with the occasional instance when I just leave them on the hill/car, if it’s certain that I’m going to end back at the start.
Felix suggested this when showing me how to rig my glider.
But reading the info on the Oz Report about the T2, they talk about storing the bag in the sail and how this is a bad thing, and that it should be stored in your harness.
The bags obviously weighs a few pounds between them and stuffing it in the leading edges right at the nose, must affect the balance slightly. I’m not worried about this during normal flight, as I almost always pack it this way. But for nill wind landing, this subtle change in balance may affect the likelihood of nosing in/ flare ability /flare timing ?
What are your thoughts.
Jason Smith
Atos VQ
Jase

Re: Stashing your glider bags

Postby Randombloke » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Flaps give you a lot of +ve pitch on older wings.
SteveU
AIR Atos, Avian Amour, Gin Carrera Plus and Pegasus Quantum.
Randombloke

Postby remmoore » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:40 pm

The pilots I know who store their bags in the d-cell, take extra precaution to keep the bag away from the pullies. I don't store mine there - mostly because I use a thick weather bag as my primary bag. It protects the sail much better, here in California's rocky set-up areas. My bag goes down with the vehicle, but I always fly with my very lightweight nylon glider condom stored in a harness pocket. It rolls up to be about the size of a soda can, and gives me confidence I will always have a bag with me.

RM
remmoore

Postby nev » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Ditto .......to stop the potential pulley-fouling, I roll up the tail cover and insert an end in either D-box, making sure the pulley side has a clean no-frills face of the pulley bag.
Nev
nev

Postby Johnnybravo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 am

Jase,
You could consider buying lightweight VQ XC bags from Phil T http://www.gliderbags.com/xc-bags.html
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby lukenicol » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 am

I cannot notice any difference between having my bags in the d-cell or not. I have the heavier waterproof bags and put most of the glider packing and straps in there too, just push them far enough down so the don't contact any of the pulleys as already said.
lukenicol

Return to Rigid Wings