New Atos keel

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

New Atos keel

Postby Nick Collins » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 am

The AIR site has been recently updated and is now showing more details of the new full carbon keel. Very Nice! There are also some links to several pics although some have been shown before. Here is the translation via google to save you doing it:

Series production of the item featured on this year's thermals fair Carbon keel has started. Before the World Cup in Annecy, France, the first pilots could be supplied with the new keel. The feedback from the pilot was positive. Tim Grabowski, whose VR is also equipped with the new keel, was able to secure the title.

The advantages of the new keel at a glance
1 The new Carbon Kiel boasts excellent flight characteristics at the circles as well as in high-speed flight. This was achieved by a new geometry with offset upward tailplane as well as a slightly longer Leitwerkshebelarm.
2 was a completely new concept adjustment mechanism of the horizontal stabilizer. As usual with the previous devices, the control of the horizontal stabilizer is coupled with the flaps. What is new is that the tail can be controlled separately over a wide range. If the flaps placed in the landing position, the tail moves back down. Thus ATOS has no more Aufbäumtendenz and can end up significantly more pleasant and safer.
3 The new keel the rigging time could be reduced. This was achieved through the redesign of the nose fitting, making the keel at the tailpipe and dismantling does not need to be removed.

The conversion to the new keel is possible for all devices that are equipped with the introduced in 2007, the VQ-erecting system.

Can any one help out on translating Aufbäumtendenz

Hate to think what a VR costs now with Carbon keel!......and brakes!!!

Nick
Nick Collins

Re: New Atos keel

Postby Johnnybravo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Aufbäumtendenz--------------------------- tendency to rear up--------------- tendency to branch out ????????????????

Leitwerkshebelarm------------------------tail lever arm.
John.
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby Johnnybravo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Sorry not 'tendency to branch out', should be 'tendency to branch off'.
John.
JohnB

Johnnybravo

Postby skyhigh123 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Quite a lot of discussion about the new Atos keel on the Forum du Deltaplane (Delta Club 82).

Francois Fourment contacted AIR and got the price: To upgrade your aluminium keel will cost 3,600 euros!

I'll be sticking with aluminium.

Tony
skyhigh123

Postby Martin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:41 am

3600 euros ? !

I guess it would be ok if it added 2 points to the glide and came with a servant named Henrik to carry your wing up to launch....

Martin
Martin

Postby Johnnybravo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:01 pm

JohnB

Johnnybravo

Postby Johnnybravo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Translated:-
Since the 2014 World Cup is our new keel with success in use. The pilots are excited about the stable flight characteristics and the optimized coupling of camber-changing flap and V-tail.

The new keel fin with less, it was possible to reduce the sweep and twist.

Similarly, the non or less swept gliders there is virtually no assembly and nod while flying in the thermals.

The lift distribution is optimal with the new geometry over a wider speed range.

The outer wing geometry was changed. Here, the VRS outer wing significantly lower min. Sink brought together with good maneuverability.

The circling behavior is even quieter, more stable and easier.

In practice this means:

- Lower stall speed, thus easy starting and landing

- More smooth flying in thermals and high-speed flight

- Lower sink rate

- Better glide in slow and fast flight

- Significantly lower static stern-heaviness by the new geometry

- No weight change over the ATOS VR through optimization of the materials used

Compare Flights to confirm the improvement in handling and also the performance difference

The first devices to factory drivers are delivered in the next few weeks. Attention: If you want to start next year with the VR + in the thermals season should reserve a place in time.

Each VR or VQ is convertible.
JohnB

Johnnybravo

Postby Nick Collins » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:00 pm

John B and I have been discussing the hang point and sweep angle of the new Plus. See the pic comparison. Quite a different glider!!...and not just the technora! :shock:
VR and VR Plus comparison.jpg
VR and VR Plus comparison.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 8239 times

It would appear that the hang point is about 150 to 200mm forward ! and therefore the A frame rake must be similarly raked further forward. This with the lower sweep angle would account for the better static balance. It would also suggest that trying to hold the glider by the nose plate in no wind would be practically impossible. It hard enough on a VR, but then I guess I haven't done that for a long time. What is a nose man anyway!
I wonder if these changes apply to the VRS, or does it already have a lower sweep?

Nick
Nick Collins

Postby nev » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:27 am

That hang point is so far forward - looks like in a bad landing & swing through we no longer get wacked on the head.......we get wacked up the jacksy?
Nev
nev

Postby Martin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 am

we get wacked up the jacksy

Quite the expression... must be something very European?

Martin
Martin

Postby Johnnybravo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 am

JohnB

Johnnybravo

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 pm

One thing that is really lacking is any sort of real tangible performance claims. Sure the "Plus" looks beautiful but its allot like the days way back when I flew flex, the manufactures would put forth all sorts of fluff about "lands better, thermals better... blah blah blah...". If this tail and or sweep changes really add up to anything lets hear it!

One interesting observation, check out the photos you can see Felix has been mucking around with all sorts of variations in the tip and some mid rib spacing, lower surface battens... Long and short, looks like he's trying to improve the symmetrical profile of the 3-4 tip panels but has yet to settle or prove it does anything. (you can see near full cord length pockets sewn into the tip panels yet other photos show "battens" ranging from short to near full length). Sven has what looks to be photos of the ribs used:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10592080 ... 6911178916

It would be interesting to "hear" what Felix says about they are supposed to do and what effect they have.

Martin
Martin

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 pm

More photo's of a very nice looking tricked out VQ with the new tail. (from Sven)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10592080 ... banner=pwa

Martin
Martin

Return to Rigid Wings