XCSoar application

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

XCSoar application

Postby nev » Tue May 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Do we have many users of XCSoar on this forum?
I've recently started using it with a **Kobo/GPS, making use of the 'moving map' and airspace functionality, which I am finding simply brilliant. I can now fly to within 200ft of airspace with confidence. 13 hrs XC use so far in quite complex (UK) airspace.

I've started making use of the '2nd' airspace file, so daily Notams can be easily added/removed.
I've configured just about everything 'off', except for 5 info boxes (Battery, time, groundspeed, GPS altitude, wind speed)
I've configured the pages so they (i) don't switch between cruise, glide-to-goal, and thermal and (ii) don't have alternate displays - only two pages - the moving map + 5 info boxes, with a left/right swipe switching on/off the airspace cross section view.

I'm sure I'll configure in some other options once I know everything I'm currently using like the back of my hand - are there any other XC pilots here making use of more of the hundred+ (literally!) XCSoar functions ? .........i.e. features you would consider a 'Must Have'.

Cheers, Nev

** in the UK the Kobo Mini is selling for 1/2 price at WH SMiths for just £30 - add a PA6H Gps (£10, +£5 delivery) solder 4 wires and you have an amazing unit that - as an eReader - can be read in sunlight. For the aging pilot who needs reading glasses, I am finding that clarity is so good I can read the information without using my +1.5~2 glasses.
Nev
nev

Re: XCSoar application

Postby Pauline » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Dear Neville,

I just spoke to Nick who told me last week to get a Kobo, so I did......now I need to know which map to download showing all the relevant airspace etc. plus the easiest way to download and where to find it on the web. I don't speak Chinese so I shall get Julia, my daughter to do the necessary. And where to buy a PA6H gps.

Many thanks in advance and watch out for Chitty Minor who will attempt to eclipse your xc achievements.

Ciao, Richard.

P.S. I heard you recently flew from Combe to Pilot Hill. Superb.......I remain in awe of you as ever.
Pauline

Postby nev » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Richard, good to hear from you!

haha, yep, I tried to get to Pilit from Coombe but failed; instead I flew to the edge of the Mendips (short of Shepton Mallet) and back.........was a tad tired after 6 hrs in the air (yeah I know, slow too!)

You can find Ben Philpots 'how to' kobo guide on the HG 'Goal' website, look under tutorials then the link 'Kobo' If you can't find it, email me and I'll ping the PDF (it would let me attach it here)

The map, airspace & waypoints are a series of 3 files that can all be loaded immediately after XCSoar has been loaded on the Kobo - all instructions in guide, and the files in a dropbox location accessible to all.

The files are just for UK maps & airspace, but you can get maps & airspace for any country.

For the GPS, the PA6H is the most popular and works reall well, you can get one here: ww.anglia-live.com/products/kw/pa6h/975127001_MT3339-GPS-MODULE-ANTENNA .......knowing you like a good deal (I can almost sense Chas smiling), if you order 4 or more then they waive the P&P which is around £5, quite an addition for a unit price of around £12..............get 3 buddies who also want one :)

Any problems just shout - I've been knocking them out like things that get knocked out........
Nev
nev

Postby Pauline » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Dear Neville,
Many thanks for the super advice.
Flew to Sywell last week and saw Oliver.......has he grown?........from what we discussed I'm thinking that maybe you could take new boy Chas under your wing and teach him a thing or two about soaring, competing etc....he would be forever in your debt.
Once again thanks a lot.
Best wishes,
Richard.
Pauline

Postby Jase » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Does anyone automatically load Notam files onto their kobo? if so, where do you get the source data.
I can see in the manual the bit about secondary airspace, so I think I can handle that part ok, I just can's see a simple way of getting the notam data in a format that is a) compatable, and b) simple enough to do regularly.
Jason Smith
Atos VQ
Jase

Postby nev » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 am

Hi Jason

Yep, there are two ways.

One is to download a (free) application called SPINE, which runs on windows or android. It's a bit over engineered for the pilot that needs to consider/review/slice absolutely everything (dozens of buttons/parameters!), but once familair, you can generate a notam file with 3~4 clicks.

The other is from web based notam.info. Last year we persuaded Dave Massie to extend this website, and there is now one page at notaminfo.com/export to generate notam airspace files in a variety of formats. This works well, but as the source notam data is typically poorly classified, unless you manually delete some unwanted notams out of the file, you can get some unwanted garbage. For example, if you picked up a blanket notam that covers the whole UK, whilst this isn't visible on a local/plan view in XCsoar, switch to the cross section and of course it will fill the view! More detail in my lengthy NOTAMS article in SKywings (around January I think)

I'm quite sure you will prefer the latter option!
Nev
nev

Postby Martin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Curious, anybody using "TopHat Beta"?

I've not added my Android (Samsung S7) to my flight kit but like the look and feel of TopHat, kind of a dumb down version of XCsoar.

Martin
Martin

Postby SimonD » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm a Top Hat user, running on a Nook E-reader.
I would be a happy man if my XC ability could get somewhere close to taxing the airborne compute capability I carry around. :oops:
SimonD

Postby nev » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 pm

I think Top Hat is more popular in north america than here in the UK.
LK8000 seems to have a good following.

My flight deck has two screens; one Track up for Nav, and one North up for planning. Finally the Track-up vs. North-up conundrum is resolved :)

DSCN0768z.jpg
DSCN0768z.jpg (230.73 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
Nev
nev

Postby Jase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:29 am

thanks for the info on this. I go back and re-read your article in Skywings Nev.
I have downloaded the spline application , but it seems to export as an .air file - this if choosing the TNP option, which I assumed was correct.
As I say, I'll re-read the article before posting again.
Thanks

Jason
Jason Smith
Atos VQ
Jase

Postby nev » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 pm

re: SPINE - it exports in a variety of formats, there's a dropdown of formats near the bottom/centre of the dialogue.

I don't use SPINE anymore as notaminfo.com/export is so much easier (it requires a donation before you can access the /export page, but Dave Massie deserves it!)
Nev
nev

Postby Jase » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks- I managed to get Spline to work quite well, but had been really struggling with the notaminfo site. I just couldn't see the export function. That makes much more sense now. So I have registered - just been a visitor before, and made a donation. -Like you say, it's well worth it. It's a great site, and I imagine quite a lot of work.
thanks for the help.
Jason
Jason Smith
Atos VQ
Jase

Return to Rigid Wings