VR - rear wires & velcro advice

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

VR - rear wires & velcro advice

Postby nev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 pm

I'll probably replace my rear wires in the next few months.

Are they easy to remove/refit, or fraught with any problems? Any hints?

Also, anyone know where to get the sail Velcro from in the UK? (I may replace a couple of short sections near the tip and kink where the wing goes Polyhedral)

Thanks in advance,
Nev
nev

Re: VR - rear wires & velcro advice

Postby Johnnybravo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:08 am

Nev
Try Kayospruce for velcro... Put 'Velcro' in their 'search box'. I got a main sail zip from them when I had trashed an original. Found them very helpful. You will need the correct velcro.

http://www.kayospruce.com/

Ref rear wires. The small screw in the upright is a pain to get out. Need a very good fit for the screw driver.
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby timking » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:21 pm

the screw in the upright will have been secured with loctite so will take some undoing. Heat will loosen the loctite but will not be good for the carbon fibre upright
have fun.
you may want to replace the screw set.
timking

Postby nev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Cheers John & Tim.

One more - the screw on the keel where the rear wires go in - does that hold just the wire, or are there other bits on it (e.g. related to tail) that I need to secure before they otherwise 'ping' further into the keel.....
Nev
nev

Postby timking » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:19 pm

there are other bits inside the keel but leave them alone
the rear wires are connected to the keel using a D shackle with a spring ring holding the pin in the shackle.....just get a new VR and spend some of your wealth on a glider instead of pies
timking

Postby WAYNE BEVAN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:04 pm

There are products on the market to release loctite which may be better than heat. Have fun as it's a pain in the bum to do!!
safe flying
wayne
WAYNE BEVAN

Postby nev » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks all for your posting/advice

John, you said:
Try Kayospruce for velcro... Put 'Velcro' in their 'search box'. I got a main sail zip from them when I had trashed an original. Found them very helpful. You will need the correct velcro.

Anyone know what the right type is?
I can see PS14 and PS18 on various hook & loops sizes.
I'm assuming the S/A means 'self adhesive' (as oposed to sew on)
I presume people get self adhesive (for positioning), AND sew on?
Probably not too critical, as I only want it for a couple of short stretches were the velcro is poor, in which case anything will be better!

Regarding the locktite'd screen on the upright (for rear wires) - do people get the right screen driver and clamp somthing like an adjustable spanner to gain leverage?
Has anyone managed to destroy the head of the screw yet? (if so, what did you do!)
Nev
nev

Postby mikeatinto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:28 am

hi Nev,
Regarding the opposing screws in the uprights;
Yes, they are a pain, but after a lot of faffing I managed to free them without heat or loctite freeing solution.
Someone said that good fitting screw drivers are important - yes, definitely.
I would add that it will be easier if those screw drivers are short shaft, to make it easier to keep them pointing directly into the screw slots (and precisely opposing each other).
I also engaged a santa's little helper to help steady one of the screw drivers and to provide opposing resistance.
I did slightly burr one of the screw slots - might be worth getting spare(s) from Avian / AIR?
Good luck.
Mike A
PS - I feel honoured to have offered the great rigid guru some advice (especially if it helps!!)
mikeatinto

Postby nev » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 am

PS - I feel honoured to have offered the great rigid guru some advice (especially if it helps!!)

Haha, many thanks Mike.

Good to know its possible without heat or loctite free'ing solution, as I understand some substances get absorbed by Carbon Fibre so I'll probably go for brute force (or your Santa's helper - presume thats a hammer ;) ).

See you at the BOS!
Nev
nev

Postby WAYNE BEVAN » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:20 pm

nev:- in relation to sewing self adhesive velcro.. Ive tried it & whilst it is possible, the glue sticks to the needle making life difficult & i would suggest you use some decent professional needles. Although as you would have removed the old velcro you will have the holes to guide you.
cheers
safe flying
wayne
WAYNE BEVAN

Postby mikeatinto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Nev,
Santa's helper wasn't a hammer - Fiona, my girlfriend.
You will need to supply your own ;0)
Cheers
Mike
mikeatinto

Postby chrisjonesbath » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:05 am

I agree with Wayne, sewing through adhesive velcro is hard as the glue makes it hard to push the needle through after a very short while when the goo has built up on the needle.

Get yourself a selection of sail-maker's needles/thread and a push pad (if not going through existing wholes), and the job will be much easier.

I've used small spring clamps to hold stuff together when sewing by hand, tends to reduce the amount of swearing.

Chris
chrisjonesbath

Postby nev » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Santa's helper wasn't a hammer - Fiona, my girlfriend.

What an anticlimax - the upright/wire screws simply slipped off like a slippery thing.....

Rear wires were in an embarrasing state - for some reason the replacements didn't handle the last 4 years like the originals did for the first 4 years.

Thats me grounded for a few weeks until wires are sorted.

Front wire loop (3 parts) all looks good at 220 hrs - I think the disconnecting when not in use is really reducing wear.

Also my faithful, original flap cord is now frayed beyond what I'm comfortable with :roll:
Nev
nev

Postby nev » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:12 pm

Both Chris and Wayne mentioned NOT getting self-adhesive velcro as the needle sticks really badly. This is my experience too using (heavy duty) velcro for some non-flying stuff.

A few days ago I ordered some non-self-adhesive velcro (mainly loop).

On the website I used, they also had a 'low profile' variant, but self adhesive only. I ordered a few metres, and not only is the self adhesive pretty amazing at bonding to objects, I've done a few tests with needles (around 20 passes) and the needle does seem to keep on going quite well without gooing up.

The velcro is probably less-robust than the AIR spec, but I'm sure it is way better than my short/worn sections, on a sail where a year or two may be all it has left, and big/time-consuming repairs are not a good use of time/money.

I'll do a small trial and let you know.....
Nev
nev

Return to Rigid Wings