VR flap cleat

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

VR flap cleat

Postby nev » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm now on my 3rd flap cleat.
Looks like they last circa 250hrs.
It doesn't seem to be a gradual degradation - one day they work, nex day you spend half a flight improvising.

It's the "Camcleat CL 712" for those that don't want to unscrew their current one.
Fitted in minutes, cheap as chips (makes an upright pin look very expensive), but 5 why you are there.

p.s. cracking weather - 3.5 hrs at base yesterday, no gloves, felt like Florida flying!
Nev
nev

Re: VR flap cleat

Postby Mike Bomstad » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:22 am

You can give them a pinch with pliers to get another season out of it.

Mike
Mike Bomstad

Postby nev » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm

You can give them a pinch with pliers to get another season out of it.

Haha, being a cheapskate I think I tried that last time around. It didn't work, as (i) its the teeth inside that 'smooth out' with use and (ii) from memory, the cleat is cast and hence strong & wouldn't budge easily.
Nev
nev

Postby Johnnybravo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am

Nev,
I checked mine, because of what you posted, and I did indeed find that the edges of the 'grips' are all worn!
Got a new one in the post today and fitted it (low cost as you said). Another countersunk hole has to be drilled to fit them, but it is a very simple install.
Regards and thanks,
John.
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby Wil » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Any one tried spending half an hour or so with a needle file to sharpen them back up?
Wil

Postby nev » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 pm

They are very small cleats - it would be like attempting keyhole surgery

At just over £1 each it's not worth it.
If they were like upright pins (at £18 a shot) I would though.....
Nev
nev

Postby nev » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Interesting pic Mike - the top one confirms that it is the teeth that are wearing; you can see the 'grooves' worn by the cord.

So, tweaking the jaws presents a new working surface.......indeed, a way of saving just over £1 for another 250 hours ...........I just hope there are no fatigue cracks in your 'tweaked' casting that decide to give way on that short-field landing approach ;) ......hey Ollie, any good vids on techniques when faced with a hedge........
Nev
nev

Postby oliver chitty » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:10 pm

you'll find short field landings easier on your paraglider, tomatoe boy.
oliver chitty

Postby Pauline » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Nearly dug my own grave when the flaps popped up from 30 degrees to zero.The dive pulled out three feet from the ground.Remember that you Chitties? The bull field from where dear Neville somehow managed to disappear for a couple of hours or so in a Ghostbuster.How flukey was THAT?
Try it. Go into a glide with 30 degrees flap and then drop the chord suddenly. Quite interesting.........so don't risk your life for the sake of a quid.....old pilots and bold etc......we're talking aviation here.......not skiing or cycling or whatever else where you fall over and simply get up again.
Regards, Pauline.
P.S. Darwin springs to mind......
Pauline

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Well... not really a matter of being cheap but we had a brand new cleat, brand new cord, that would not stay put. Within a few hours of install time, started jumping out as if it where a hundred years old, no obvious reason. Crimped it closed and has worked perfectly ever since.

Cheers

Martin
Martin

Postby nev » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 pm

I've found ther security depends on the combination of both cleat and cord.

3 years ago I renewed the cleat and that fixed the issue. However, while there, I though I'd renew the cord as it was getting slightly tattty.......I bought 5 diffrent cords from the chandlers and not one ofthem worked as well as the old cord during testing. Both cord thickness and surface type varied the result enormously.

Today, the 'slightly tatty' cord of 3 years ago is now 'very tatty' ........but it works fine......but I'm on cleat number #3 as cleats ALWAYS seem to be an issue after 250 hrs.

p.s. reminds me of an old joke - best told in a Jamacan Accent - with a punchline of "looks lousy, feels fine" :)
Nev
nev

Postby chrisjonesbath » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Having followed this thread, I thought I'd look at my cleat at the weekend. What I noticed is that I don't pull the rope directly through the cleat, I just pull it back so it runs free and then push it forward to jam it in the cleat. I've done it this way from the days of the old Airwave spring loaded VB cleat, and it certainly was a must with the Wills-Wing knife cleat on my RamAir.

Maybe you just need to be have a different approach to rope handling and you'll get a few more years from your cleats and ropes.

Just a thought.

Chris
chrisjonesbath

Postby nev » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Yep, my 250 hours per each of two cleats is using your method Chris (not pulling the rope through the teeth of the cleat).
Nev
nev

Postby lukenicol » Wed May 07, 2014 10:44 am

Has anyone found a decent cord replacement yet? I'm about to order a few cleats as mine now won't hold the flaps on, but the rope is getting a little tatty...
lukenicol

Postby nev » Wed May 07, 2014 6:12 pm

It you need a quicky/dirty workaround (until you locate some), you can basically revserse the cord so that you have a relatively new bit by the cleat

I read this from "Viz - top tips" ... :)
Nev
nev

Next

Return to Rigid Wings