VR flap cleat

All rigid wing news, questions, etc can be found here.

Moderators: ianwhitt, mark leavesley, chasleton, Randombloke, jules

Re: VR flap cleat

Postby Johnnybravo » Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 pm

lukenicol wrote:Has anyone found a decent cord replacement yet? I'm about to order a few cleats as mine now won't hold the flaps on, but the rope is getting a little tatty...

Luke,
I haven't changed mine yet, but if I did I would use/try Sailing Dingy Control line/cord-- Marlow Excel Racing ( 3mm diameter--- I measured my original cord and it is 3mm diameter). Available from many Yatch Chandlers. The specification on the Marlow Excel Racing states that it holds well in cleats and is abrasion resistant and copes with pulleys/bends etc. I do know one other VR that is using a slightly smaller diameter (maybe 2.5mm??, but I am not sure).
The original stuff on my VR is very strong. When I broke the right upright on my VR, the flap cord ripped itself, sideways through the carbon upright, ripping the carbon all the way, without damage to the cord. Marlow Excel racing has a dyneema centre with a 16 plait polyester abrasion protection on the outside.
Regards,
John.
PS Congrats on winning the BOS 1.
JohnB

A-I-R Atos VR/WW Sport 2 (155)/BMW R1150R.
Johnnybravo

Postby lukenicol » Fri May 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks for the tips Nev and John, I bought 14 of the clamcleats, 4 for myself and 10 for others in our club that wanted one or two.
I will buy some of that Marlow exes racing cord, thanks.
Luke
lukenicol

Postby remmoore » Sun May 11, 2014 6:14 pm

nev wrote:It you need a quicky/dirty workaround (until you locate some), you can basically revserse the cord so that you have a relatively new bit by the cleat

I read this from "Viz - top tips" ... :)

Nev,

Do you mind attaching a link to your source? Don't think I've heard of it.

The "quicky/dirty workaround" I've used a couple of times over the years is to shorten the length of the cord a bit to avoid the worn segment of cord. I simply pull the cord back from the knot in the upright, tie a new knot, and cut off the excess.

RM
remmoore

Postby nev » Mon May 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Ooops, sorry Remmore, I forgot the non-UK forum members here won't know about Viz (I was only kidding)

Have a look here and you'll get the idea - click REGULARS then TOP TIPS for a sample, but their encylopedia is hilarious reading sometimes

http://www.viz.co.uk/index.html
Nev
nev

Previous

Return to Rigid Wings